Monday, 31 March 2014

Jason - Finished

I'm planning a full write-up on this project over the next week but in the meantime here are the pictures of the finished piece.

You can find Jason over at Coolmini HERE
Or on Putty & Paint HERE

Monday, 24 March 2014

Jason - Part 6

This week my attention has been on Jason's base, but before I could get any painting done I had to finish sculpting the golden fleece. This was a fiddly job but I find it helps if I break sculpting down into stages. It takes longer to do this way but by allowing each stage to set before I start the next it's easier to build up the volumes and textures.
With the fleece sculpted could turn my attention to painting the tree. I used layers and glazing for this and I think it gives a more interesting finish compared to the tree I painted for my Tomb King with dry brushing.
The base is still very much a work in progress but the pics below show how things are progressing.

Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Jason - Part 5

A chest infection has put a major crimp in my painting plans and the weekend didn't see very much time painting. On the good side antibiotics (shake me & I'll rattle I'm so full of pills!) have come to the rescue and I'm on the mend. 
I did manage to get a little quality painting time last week, before Nurgle stuck, and I've just about finished painting Jason.
I'm now focusing my energies on the base with the second Hydra's head and the Golden Fleece to paint as well as a number of tweaks and adjustments to the terrain. I've also started work on a label for the plinth. I'm looking to pull all the elements together so that I can get a feeling for the overall piece and make sure it works as a whole. I'm very aware that April 12 is getting a lot closer!

Tuesday, 11 March 2014

Jason - Part 4

I’ve been putting some extra hours into painting Jason and it feels like I’m making progress! The mini has proven to be deceptively tricky to paint. It always seems to need that little bit of extra attention to make the details pop but I think the effort is finally proving worthwhile. 
I’ve gone back over the Hydra’s head (again) with a little purple glazing to enrich the colour and shadows. I’ve also added some stronger stippling to the forehead area to create a skin pattern of sorts and I think it adds a lot more interest to an otherwise bland area. 
Jason’s costume and armour are now beginning to come together and it’s been fiddly work but I’m finally getting a feel for the finished look of the mini. Once Jason is done I’ll turn my attention to his shield and what will be my first proper bit of freehand for many years – no pressure there then! 
I’m also starting to do a little prep on the base ready for when the mini is finished. There are a lot of little touches that the piece will need to bring everything together and finish it all off. That’s not something I want to get caught out with by leaving it to the last minute.


Monday, 3 March 2014

Jason - Part 3

I've been able to put in quite a few hours painting time this week as a result Jason has progressed fairly well. I've been concentrating on painting the hydra's head and I'm very pleased with how it's coming together. 

I thought that I'd be painting it in a blue/green/grey colour scheme but as you can see it didn't work out that way! As the overall colour scheme has resolved itself it became very clear to me that red was the colour to use. I started off by applying a wash of baal red over the dry brushed under painting and then worked up successive washes and highlights. The final stage of highlights were built up using a fine stipple texture.

I've also painted up Jason's tunic and although it's OK for the moment I'll need to go back over it and refine the finish as the rest of the mini comes together.