Thursday 1 February 2018

Horticulous Slimux – Part 1

It seems like everybody is painting Nurgle minis at the moment. Which is no great surprise considering the recent glut of impressive new Nurgle minis. How could I ever resist!

From the moment I first saw Horticulous Slimux I knew I was going to paint him. Every now and again a mini comes out that ticks all my boxes and this one does that to the max! Games Workshop rarely releases minis with such a strong feeling of whimsy. That, along with the almost cartoon like styling and subject, give this mini a strong ‘old school’ feel. On top of all that he’s Nurgle’s head gardener and, possibly, the first ever Plaguebearer! The last two details have given me lots to think about and inspired my approach to painting him.

It would have been pretty straight forward to break out the forest green and paint Horticulous Slimux in the same way as my other plague bearers. But I had a nagging feeling that, for me, that would be too obvious an approach. Horticulous Slimux is a significant character in the Nurgle pantheon and as such requires special treatment.

He is a truly ancient being and I wanted to reflect this in my paint job. To put it simply, I wanted him to look old. After a little time pondering this I’ve decided to paint him in a pale desaturated flesh tone. I think an almost human flesh tone will give him an extremely creepy feel. To help create the feeling of great age I’m painting a lot of lines and wrinkles into the texture of his flesh. I’ve also decided to paint his eyes (he has five) as though they are fogged over with cataracts.



For my colour palette I’ve used a range of colours that incorporate blue, yellow and red tones alongside neutral and flesh tones. This approach is the same as the one I used for both Akito and the Abyssal Warlord and it’s served me well in achieving realistic pale flesh tones.


Neutral & flesh tones
Red, yellow & blue tones

Realism is going to be a key word in my approach to painting both Horticulous Slimux and his steed Mulch. The sculpt is in a cartoony style and, although I love this, I’ve decided to play against it with my painting style. I don’t expect the finished paint job to look ultra naturalistic (he’s a plague demon on a giant demonic snail after all!); but I think using lots of ‘real world’ reference, and a palette of muted ‘natural’ colours, and will give the finished result something a little extra.

I’ve painted quite a few Nurgle minis and I don’t want to fall into the trap of getting too comfortable by simply painting ‘more of the same’! I’m on the lookout to find a new angle and using ‘real world’ reference will help me to do this. I’ve sourced pictures of slugs, snails, frogs and caterpillars. I think they are going to be a great source of inspiration!

10 comments:

  1. This looks amazing as usual so far. thank you for being so open and sharing. Thats a great pallette. Question, how much of a fan are you of flayed one flesh? I love the colour but I wish there was more pigment, mine always feel like there half a bottle of glaze medium in there. I guess it helps you blend more easily but I wish I could get a strong base from it out the pot. I would be interested to hear your thoughts :) Thanks again for the post, Love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It' the first time I've used flayed one flesh and so far I'm loving it! I would usually use vallejo Ivory but it was too pale & harsh on this mini. Flayed one flesh is a warmer colour and works perfectly in my highlights. I've found it Ok with regards to the pigment/medium ratio but then I'm working with very thin dilute layers of translucent colour.

      Delete
  2. perfection as always! can not wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! just amazing, like all your work! I really like all the tones variations you are achieving. May I ask you what techniques are you using to achieve those smooth blendings? is it glazing?

    thank you and don't stop posting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's mostly glazing. There is also a little stippling and layering but it's the glazing that ties it all together and smoothes it out.

      Delete
  4. Great work as always, every miniature You paint is inspiring. Could You tell me how You manage to create this dead fish eye effect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eye is painted in much the same way as a jewel or lense but using muted pinks and blue greys. The trick with the pupil is to use blue/grey tones and keep it soft and 'out of focus' so it looks like it's under a foggy cataract.

      Delete
  5. Dude, the eye on that guy is absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might have missed an update but how are you getting the texture to work after the previous Bicarbonate method went belly up? Lovely work so far, you make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using a combination of diferent materials and I'll be covering this very subject in my next posting!

      Delete